Saturday, December 12, 2009

“I’m fine, thank you, just stupid.”

The snow that I thought was melting away was reinforced by an evening of whipping icy winds and then a day of not heavy but quite steady snow. So there are quite a few inches on the ground and Ray Churchill has plowed twice. “Where are your driveway markers?” he asked. I use them to mark the garden's railroad ties. “Under the snow,” I replied. In October I took them outdoors to set out but got
distracted by weeding. As the snow was falling I realized that they are still lying in the rose garden somewhere. Sigh.

This afternoon I decided to see if I could improve on some previously-taken winter pictures. So I hopped in the car and headed for various places in the neighborhood.

Many promising shots turned out not to be so wonderful, but Delete is the glory of the digital camera. I was parked across from the house with this apple tree and the homeowner came out to see what was up.

 When I told her I was waiting for the sun to come back out and shine up the apples for the photo she just looked at me and said “Okay” in that are-you-crazy tone of voice and went back in her house.

It was around 1pm, and the sky was full of clouds, so the light came and went. As I was coming home, up a steep hill, I saw an old farm implement in a yard, and before I knew it I drove past it. So I started backing up. This in itself, on a snowy road, is not so smart. Someone came up behind me, I moved a tad to the right and stopped, and they passed me.

When I started backing again I was too close to the edge of the road. The back wheels slipped off and the back end buried itself and the passenger side of the car in snow. Getting out without a pull was hopeless.

The cell phone worked so I tried to call Ray Churchill and got no answer. I waited a bit to try a second and third time, and then realized that my other neighbors’ phones are not in my cell phone. However, a rescuer arrived in the presence of Dakota Engberg, age 17, who was visiting his mom and was heading somewhere with his cousin. They put their errand on hold and went for help.

In the meantime, several drivers came and went. Every man in a pickup asked if I had help coming, and then if I was okay, to which I replied, “I’m fine, thank you, just stupid.” Finally Dakota found Nick Peck, also age 17, who came with his truck and chain. The boys had forgotten a shovel, but went up the road and borrowed one. Digging out the car would make the pulling easier. And in no time I was back on the road.

Well, that stupid lesson has been learned. I should have driven to the top of the hill and turned around in a driveway, but I didn’t want to lose the light on the picture. And that decision put me in a snowbank about 5 miles from home, wearing boots and mittens and a parka, but no hat, and the temperature was in the 20s. Walking would probably have kept me warm enough, and the wind wasn’t blowing, and the sun was out, but I am eternally grateful not to have had to make that walk. Next time I will let the light go. A bit like a choice Tim had to make once, about a cat.

As soon as I got home I turned on the oven and made “Mrs. Dempsey cookies” for my rescuers! And this was the picture.

3 comments:

  1. Glad to hear I'm not the only one who does dumb things with her car for the sake of art! This story makes my being stranded on Rt. 80 in the ice storm last weekend seem not so bad after all, considering how much worse things could have turned out for both of us...I definitely won't be making that mistake again... Lessons have been learned all the way around :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I find it funny how throughout this lovely tale there isn't 1 picture of the car in the ditch. Maybe someone shoveling the car out of the snow. Glad you're okay & many thanks to your fellow Vermonters for the assistance.

    ReplyDelete
  3. hmm, yes. pix of the snowbound car. if i were a "real blogger" i would've had pix of the entire saga. but i forgot. grabbing the camera to take snapshots of events isn't part of my reaction set yet.

    ReplyDelete