Monday, April 12, 2010

It was certainly spring in Montclair, Glen Ridge and Bloomfield, NJ. As I drove south from Vermont, pale greens emerged and grew brighter. Buds became furled leaves. Then those leaves unfurled. Finally the spring outburst of flowering bulbs and trees was complete. It had been so hot in NJ the previous two days – one day in the 90’s! – that many of the trees had begun to go by. Most weeping cherries were pale and dropping blossoms like flies. I didn’t have time for many picture-searching detours, and this is the best magnolia I could find.


The crabs were in full flower.















Then there were the redbuds.  The blossoms erupt from the stems, and the leaves come later. So all you see is branches wrapped in pink and white.



Thundercloud cherry is another of my favorite trees, and they were at peak as well, and I didn’t have the camera. First to appear are a cloud of small pink single blossoms, joined by deep purple leaves that produce such a dark background for the blossoms that the origin of the name is obvious. It’s a wonderful spring tree without a bit of green on it during flowering time, and is a wonderful contrast to all the other shades of green in the yard and on the street. I really regret having no pictures. There are good pictures here and here.

About the only time I heave a heavy sigh about living in Vermont is that I am unable to grow either a redbud or a Thundercloud. If either were hardy in Zone 4 they’d be growing around here.

I returned to Vermont today and Spring found its way here! The daffodils are up, more have buds, many are blooming, and there are lots of little blue chinodoxia. Pictures maybe tomorrow, if the sun is out, but I’m tired from a long drive on an upset stomach. Ernie, by the way, seems to have enjoyed his stay at Thelma’s but was very happy to get outdoors.

No comments:

Post a Comment