Sunday, May 2, 2010

flowers, flowers, flowers

The aloe in the living room is at it again.  Here's the flower stalk. Two buds this time. There will certainly be pictures when it blooms. When it's done my friend Beth will help me repot it. It needs a bigger pot, but a bigger pot won't fit on the shelf, and it clearly loves this space. Maybe Beth and I can figure out something.

It was hot enough to be out in a tank top. But did I put on sunscreen? No. Did I go in when I felt my back getting really warm? No. (Heavens! I would’ve had to take off my dirty garden shoes and gloves.) So now my back looks and feels like a cooked lobster. Dumb dumb dumb.

But I got a lot done. Half of one flower bed doesn’t sound like much, but believe me, it is.

About 4pm Ernie wanted his dinner and the sky clouded over. Bright overcast often produces nice pictures, so after I took care of Ernie I went out with the camera. If you look at the Venal pools entry in April, you’ll see a great picture of the bloodroot when they first came out. Now the leaves have emerged, each one surrounding an individual bloom like a little coat with a standup collar, and the blossoms have started to go by.

There’s a macro setting on the camera that I’m trying to learn to use well, but you have to hold the camera really steady and now I know I’m not so good at that when I’m propped on my elbow on the ground. So I think I’ll use the zoom, since I mess with the images anyway. I’m still fascinated with daffodils.


 


  
No, I did not take this picture on purpose. The bee was there. Discovery is what makes image processing fun.

For instance, the pulmonaria, which has two colors of flowers. This is less than 15% of the original picture, but the color balance (thank you, flowers!) and the out-of-focus background (thank you, camera) made for a great closeup.

Time for supper, and then catching up on "inside work". Paying the April bills would be a good thing.

No comments:

Post a Comment