Saturday, July 24, 2010

Rain, rain go away

That Wednesday thunderstorm was a doozy. I drove back to work after supper for an online faculty meeting, and further up West St. trees had brought down power lines and had ripped connections from homes The ancient maples at the far end of the Crossover Road, which had been pretty well damaged during the 2007 windstorm, looked like cannon had been shot at them.

Friday was gray and cloudy, and it got cloudier and grayer and more threatening as the day went on. I was going to ride Raven in the late afternoon but I had an unshakeable certainty that as soon as I had the saddle on her the skies would open. So I did the laundry instead. And it didn’t begin to rain until 7pm. Another riding opportunity lost.

But THURSDAY was splendid, and so was today! So I got out the camera. Ernie graced my efforts with his presence. (As always, click to see bigger pix.)

The flowers by the bedroom deck are glorious

Globe thistles attract bees by the dozen
 

Here's a daylily I purchased last year from George and Gail Africa's Vermont Flower Farm in Plainfield, VT

Here's part of  the bed behind the bedroom window

I have veggies!!  I have beets, but they're roasting in the oven now.  So we have a harvest of Swiss Chard:

And the tomatoes are coming along:

And here's the King of the Garden himself:

2 comments:

  1. Ernie, you are indeed handsome! Cetty and Mr. Grey want me to post pictures of them because they think they're just as good looking.

    ReplyDelete
  2. The pictures are GREAT! I LOVE the thistle and bees, you know I do :-) All that sun and rain and hard work are showing off their fruits in so many GORGEOUS ways, thank you for sharing that beauty with us city folk down here in Jersey :-) And King Ernie looks like he's enjoying the high life up there, that picture makes him look like Little Lord Fontleroy :-) Love, -Alice

    ReplyDelete