Sunday, September 23, 2012

Lennie is a chip off the old block

What do you do with the stem ends of your asparagus, the ends you break off?  Do you put them in the trash?  In the compost? Not in this house.

I trim the very woody ends off, cook the remainder of the ends, let them cool, and feed them to Lennie.  He loves 'em.  He also likes his salad dressing.  I put the remnants of salad down so he could try it and say "Yuck".  Oh no, not him.  Ernie also liked veggies (broccoli), and his 1/4 tsp of salad dressing, plus his tablespoon of milk at breakfast.  Lennie clearly appreciates this tradition. 

Ernie was a food mooch, and Lennie is just as bad.  I have to shut him in the bathroom at feeding time because he will get under my feet (I'm rather sensitive about this behavior), and as I try to put the dish on the floor he leaps up to knock it out of my hands, so he can get it sooner.

I would put up Lennie pix, but both FB and Blogger have now changed their photo interfaces so that if you have rotated the image the rotation doesn't work.  "Portrait" (vertical longer than horizontal) pix now come out sideways.  I knew FB started this in 2011 but Blogger has only done this the last couple of months.  Anyone know a solution?

Beth, Betsy, Thelma and I took a visit to Cornish, NH today, to visit the St. Gaudens National Historic Site today.  Augustus St. Gaudens' name cam back to prominence in the modern era because he created the Shaw Memorial, which you will recognize if you saw the movie "Glory".  It took St. Gaudens years to complete this. Every soldier's face and rifle is different. Every blanket roll is different.  The soldiers and the angel are in high-relief, but Shaw and the horse are a three-dimensional sculture.



It was a perfect day for a field trip, bright sun and blue skies.  That's Mount Ascutney in the background.


I will send a link to the St. Gaudens pix when I get the pictures up on Facebook.  I took them all in landscape mode and will do some careful photoshopping so they look like portrait when they should.  It's a marvelous place.  Be warned!! If you pay me a visit on a nice day, we are likely to pay that Historic Site another visit!

No comments:

Post a Comment