Saturday, November 13, 2010

The Cutest Dog in Vermont


Alberta Wallen (My Equine Expert) and Ray Peck (Our Road Foreman!) are my next door neighbors.  Berta is an animal lover, especially rescue animals.  She has three horses (one rescued, and how many can you ride at once, Berta?), a new kitten (from the vet), and two dogs.  One is a huge rescue Rottweiler named Quinny.  The other is the cutest dog in Vermont, for sure.

He's a yellow dog with a curvy tail and big triangular ears. Name? DINGO!  What else? 

Ray and Berta have spent a lot of time training Dingo and Quinny to stay home, and by and large they do.  I don't think I've ever seen them in any other yards except mine (I'm the Dog Treat Person) and Jamie's (where 3 other dogs live).

They did such a good training job that for about a year Dingo was scared to death of everyone else, but he's super confident now, perhaps because I'm the Dog Treat Person.  This afternoon Dingo decided to come for a visit.  We played: I make threatening noises and he rips and tears around the yard; then he flops on the ground for Tummy-Rubbing Time.

It's very hard to get a picture of this dog.  If he looks you in the eye, he wants to be in your lap.  Mostly he looks elsewhere.
Dingo is very quiet, very alert, and very fast.  I think he's delegated all the barking to Quinny.  He rules the roost, too.  Quinny is twice Dingo's size, but Quinny won't go anywhere unless Dingo is there.

I can't get a picture of Dingo handing me his paw because I can't take his paw, give him a treat, and take a picture all at the same time, with only two hands.  I can't take a picture of a smiling Dingo showing the charcoal gray spots on his tongue, because he moves too quickly.  I can't get a picture of Full Alert Dingo (ears forward, tail erect and curved, all four feet well-planted) because when Dingo is on Full Alert I'm getting Ernie out of his way.

But I finally got a nice "portrait" of the Cutest Dog in Vermont.

Forgive the little white stuff that looks attached to his neck.  That's a stray scrap of paper in the grass.


No comments:

Post a Comment